Monday 7 August 2006

Haruka Kakizakai brought Miura shakuhachi


The exciting arrival of my new shakuhachi made by Ryuho Miura. Kaoru Kakizakai Sensei’s son, Haruka, brought it over to Sydney with him, freshly finished the previous Friday. Haruka is here for a 10-day exchange in Waringah. I commissioned the flute when I was Japan and Miura made it really fast (for him). I am looking forward to practising to harness its big warm sound. Immediately I notice an embouchure adjustment is required and the instrument is fatter and finger-holes more spaced apart so some physical adaptation is required at first. But it also exudes beauty and the care with which it has been crafted in fine details like the exquisitely smooth lacquering inside, the refined utaguchi (mouthpiece cutaway) and lathing of the bamboo root end exposing the raw grain of the pale, natural bamboo colour, free from any staining or smoking. Obviously, this instrument reinforces my intention of a daily and long-term commitment.